Shipping and Returns

We will make every attempt to ship out your order as soon as possible.

Once your products have been shipped, you will receive a shipping confirmation email as well as a tracking number for your order.

Orders for items in stock will need to be paid in full after receiving from us the shipping bill and will be shipped within 3 - 5 days ( depend on manufacturing time and national holidays ). Orders with leather items will take 1 - 2 weeks to be process and shipped .
For orders of items that we don't have in stock and need to be produced, an initial deposit of 30% with confirmation for the order is required and the other 70% with shipping cost after the order is complete.

Orders that need to be produced will be shipped not more than 45 days. I case of delay, we will inform you a.s.a.p.

Wrong Item or Quantity Shipped

If we make an error with your order, please notify us right away (within 7 days of receiving your shipment). We will remedy the mistake with the correct product. In rare circumstances where the product is no longer available, we will help you select an alternative or credit your account. If we sent you more products than you ordered, please notify us and return the additional quantity.

In case of damaged goods, we will replace the goods only if the goods we sent damaged. We will not replace goods that are damaged in the shipping process (to avoid this, please get insurance) or by you.